Live polling has long been accepted as an extremely effective tool in training rooms and lecture theatres but the cost, logistical implications and expertise historically required meant it was generally restricted to those with larger budgets or very specific course requirements. The arrival of polling apps has transformed the landscape meaning that live polling and text based discussion have become an expected feature of the modern training environment. Here’s why…
1) Live polls provide the trainer an instant understanding of knowledge levels, at any point in the training. Sessions are more adaptive and responsive as a result meaning better learning outcomes.
2) It’s democratic. Everyone gets a chance to show their support for a comment or question by ‘liking’ it in an app. In a situation with limited time the most important questions to the group can be addressed.
3) People ask great questions when there is no risk or judgement from peers or bosses. Apps can be set to be truly anonymous making it inclusive and ensuring that every voice is equal.
4) It saves time - no more evaluation forms or web surveys open for days, polls provide instant feedback and a much higher level of responses. Marking and scoring papers can be a things of the past with instant accurate reporting.
5) They are the future - well actually they are the now. What else haven’t we started using an app for in the last couple of years? Attendees expect to be using this tech. ‘Clicker’ voting devices are seen by attendees as old hat, like asking them to pull out a calculator!
6) Engagement is a key goal in training sessions. Live polling at regular intervals provides this and in turn sees an increase in reported attendee satisfaction levels.
7) Connection issues are largely a thing of the past. It’s very rare for training venues not to have more than adequate Wifi or 3/4G coverage to run a polling app.
8) It’s now REALLY easy to implement an app. Sign up online and you can be running polls and Q&A from a browser or your PowerPoint presentation in minutes. Can’t think of what questions to ask? They can be downloaded from the app providers site too.
9) Interaction is not restricted to the physical training room. remote attendees or trainers can all take part and engage. All anyone needs is an internet enabled device and internet access.
10)The cost is… very little. Due to mass adoption and the ease of deployment, buying the coffees is likely to be the biggest bill of the day!